The Marion Area Genealogy Society, also known as MAGS, does research requests for interested individuals who agree to our terms.
(1) Our charge is $10 per item.
a. To clarify, obits for 2 people would be 2 items at a cost of $20.
b. Similarly, a marriage record and a death record on the same person would be 2 items at a cost of $20.
(2) $10 charge applies whether results are found or not.
a. It is important to note that the fee is for the services rendered by one of our volunteers looking for the records.
b. The search is done based on the information which you provide us, and if incorrect, no results will be found. Similarly, your information may be correct (such as a death date) but there may be no published obit.
c. You pay for the service whether or not any actual records are found.
(3) In addition to our fee, you must pay actual costs for any expenses, such as printing fees and postage.
a. Many requests are completed by copying or printing results at a cost of 25 cents a page.
b. Marriage Licenses are $5
c. Land Records are $2 per page and usually (but not always) break across 2 pages.
d. Other items vary.
e. Items found on microfilm can be stored and shared by digital images and email, for quicker response and no copy/printer fees - if desired.
(4) Your request is handled on a first come, first served basis, and time for completion depends on the number of requests currently pending at the time your request is received. Average time ranges from a few days to a couple of months.
(5) No more than 4 items may be requested per request. If you need additional items, you will need to submit a second request after your first one is completed.